Download the Mod
The Dark Mod can be installed in Windows and Linux. You need a working and patched Doom 3 installation (NOT the BFG edition) on your hard drive. These steps will assume that you installed Doom 3 (patched to the most recent 126.96.36.1994 version) in the folder C:\Games\Doom3.
Install TDM on Windows
- Create a darkmod folder in your Doom 3 directory, like this: C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod
- Download the TDM Updater (see below for alternate download locations).
- Extract the tdm_update.exe from the downloaded ZIP and copy it into your C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod directory.
- Start the tdm_update.exe. The installer will connect to one of our download mirrors and start the download process.
- Be patient and wait. The download weighs 2 GB and will probably take a while.
- After installation, you’ll find an executable TheDarkMod.exe in your darkmod folder, i.e. C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\TheDarkMod.exe. Use this to start The Dark Mod.
Install TDM on Linux
- You need the native version of Doom 3 installed and patched to v1.3.1, see below for download links and install instructions.
- Since there is no 64 bit version of either Doom 3 or The Dark Mod, on 64 bit systems you also need the 32 bit compatibility libraries installed. On some distributions like SuSE, these are included in the default installation, but on Kubuntu/Ubuntu you need to install the package called ia32-lib and all its dependencies. Otherwise, even the installer for Doom 3 will fail to run.
- Create a folder ~/.doom3/darkmod in your home directory. Mind the dot in the path.
- Download the Linux version of the TDM Updater and extract it to ~/.doom3/darkmod/ (see below for alternate download locations)
- Make tdm_update.linux executable: chmod +x tdm_update.linux
- Run the updater, it will connect to our mirrors and download the packages for you.
- Start The Dark Mod using the thedarkmod.x86 binary in your ~/.doom3/darkmod folder.
If you are getting slow download speeds using tdm_update, you can also try this download link from our moddb site for the full package:
Install TDM on Mac OS X
The 1.08 update is now supported on Macs, thanks to malex984. Follow the directions here: Forum Post
- Ensure that Doom 3 is patched to v1.3.1: Download
- It is recommended that the “Doom 3″ program folder is installed into the Application Support folder (i.e. ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/). If Doom 3 is installed into a different location then additional steps will need to be followed.
- Create a folder darkmod in your Doom 3 directory: ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod
- Download darkmod.zip
- Move the resulting “darkmod” folder to the “Doom 3″ folder (alongside “Doom 3.app” and the “base” folder).
- Within the darkmod folder, double-click the tdm_update_helper.command file to begin downloading the latest release of TDM (approx 2GB).
- Start The Dark Mod using the tdmlauncher_helper.command script in your ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod folder.
Note: A shortcut to these .command scripts can be created to make launching or updating TDM more convenient. Right click on the .command file and choose ‘Create Alias’ to create the shortcut, which can then be moved to the Desktop or Dock for example. See the wiki if you don’t want to install darkmod in ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod.
Update TDM Installation
- To update a previously installed version of TDM, simply start the tdm_update.exe file in your darkmod folder. The installer will connect to one of our download mirrors and start the download process. Any files that are newer than the ones on your HD will be downloaded.
- The most recent TDM version is 1.08, released October 17th, 2012.
Each of our mirrors contains a copy of the updater. Get it from here:
- Download from www.keepofmetalandgold.com: Windows or Linux or Mac OSX
- Download from www.fical.com: Windows or Linux or Mac OSX
- Download from www.southquarter.com: Windows or Linux or Mac OSX
- Download from www.shadowdarkkeep.com: Windows or Linux or Mac OSX
- Download from www.bloodgate.com: Windows or Linux or Mac OSX