Download the Mod
The Dark Mod can be installed in Windows and Linux. You no longer need Doom3 to install or play TDM.
Install TDM on Windows
- As of 2.01 TDM can be installed wherever you like, but make sure you have read and write access to the folder!
- Download the TDM Updater (see below for alternate download locations)
- Extract the tdm_update.exe from the downloaded ZIP and copy it into your darkmod directory.
- Start the tdm_update.exe. The installer will connect to one of our download mirrors and start the download process.
- Be patient and wait. The download weighs > 2 GB and will probably take a while.
- After installation, you’ll find an executable TheDarkMod.exe in your darkmod folder. Use this to start The Dark Mod.
Install TDM on Linux
- Since there is no 64 bit version of The Dark Mod, on 64 bit systems you also need the 32 bit compatibility libraries installed. On some distributions like SuSE, these are included in the default installation, but on Kubuntu/Ubuntu you need to install the package called ia32-lib and all its dependencies.
- Create a folder darkmod in your home directory.
- Download the Linux version of the TDM Updater and extract it to your darkmod folder (see below for alternate download locations)
- Make tdm_update.linux executable: chmod +x tdm_update.linux
- Run the updater, it will connect to our mirrors and download the packages for you.
- Start The Dark Mod using the thedarkmod.x86 binary in your darkmod folder.
Install TDM on Mac OS X
TDM 2.0 is not yet supported on Macs. The 1.08 update is now supported on Macs, thanks to malex984. Follow the directions here: Forum Post
Update TDM Installation
- To update a previously installed version of TDM, simply start the tdm_update.exe file in your darkmod folder. The installer will connect to one of our download mirrors and start the download process. Any files that are newer than the ones on your HD will be downloaded.
- If the updater fails to start, check to see if a _tdm_update.exe file (note the underscore) has been created in your folder. If it has, rename _tdm_update.exe to tdm_update.exe and run it.
- The most recent TDM version is 2.1, released Feb 8th, 2014.
Each of our mirrors contains a copy of the updater. Get it from here: