The Dark Mod was developed by a solid group of professionals and talented amateurs from all over the globe. Most were motivated by their love of Thief 1 and 2, and saw the mod as a way of delivering the stealth experience they wished T3 had been. Since The Dark Mod was released in October 2009 the team has continued to put out updates on a regular basis.
Springheel, Artistic Lead, 2004 – present
One of the longest running developers, Eric Pommer originally joined the mod with the intention of providing nothing but concept art. Since then, he’s been involved in just about every area of the mod, from textures, to guis and menu design, to modelling, to character rigging and animations, not to mention writing all of the scripts for the character vocals to date. His mission, A Score to Settle, has been voted one of the best missions released so far.
greebo, Programming Lead, 2006 – 2012
Our number one programmer, greebo has been an invaluable part of the mod’s success, working on AI, physics, GUIs, inventory, and most recently the built-in mission downloader and campaign support. He is also responsible for the last few years of updates to our specialized editor, Dark Radiant. Greebo, along with his wife Angua, created the third TDM mission of all time, The Outpost. He took a step down from his lead position in April 2012.
New Horizon, 2004 – present
Tim Gormley – “Born: March 9th, 1975. A married Jack of many trades. Has earned a living as a professional actor, theatrical sound tech, and as the lead vocalist of a Rock, Rhythm and Blues band. Currently exploring the freedom and imprisonment of self employment.”
Fidcal, 2006 – present
Since he joined, Fidcal added a whole lot of documentation and tutorials to our wiki, invaluable work which future mappers will surely appreciate. He’s constantly pushing the mod towards higher levels of mapper-friendliness. Fidcal was responsible for the very first TDM mission, our Thief’s Den demo, and has since released several other mission, including the massive Heart of Lone Salvation.
angua, Programmer, 2006 – present
Graduate engineer (technical physics). Started as a beta mapper, and together with greebo created the third TDM mission ever released, The Outpost. Has moved on to AI coding since 2007 (door handling, searching behaviour, alert states, AI optimisation). Enjoys playing the bass and volleyball when not mapping. The first Dark Mod girl!
Tels, Programmer, 2007 – present
Tels is a computer programmer at day and a dark modder at night. He’s done the packaging scripts and oversight for the first two releases, Thief’s Den and Saint Lucia. When not cleaning up, fixing bugs or documenting things, he writes support scripts, like the new documentation GUI, as well as works on in-game entities like the extinguishable light system.
Serpentine, Texture Artist, 2007 – present
Has added a number of terrific textures and improved many of our early efforts.
Arcturus, Modeler, 2007 – present
Has contributed a whole lot of high-quality textures and some animated models, like the horse.
grayman, Programmer, 2010 – present
Retired, after 35 years of writing all sorts of software. Joined the team very recently and has since improved AI behaviour in multiple ways (including pathfinding, relighting and noticing doors), as well as getting the TDM vine arrows working. Also produced the critically acclaimed mission, Somewhere Above the City.
Robin “Nosslak” Karlsson, Modeler, 2010 – present
Produces great models, including the recent plague mask.
Thanks go out to our former Team Members who have either moved on or are no longer contributing:
Fingernail, Original Mod Founder, 2004
David Massey (UK) – “Student, guitarist, musician, fancies himself as a bit of a polymath. Never expected the mod to take off quite like it has but it’s been a rather pleasant surprise.”
sparhawk, Programmer, 2004 – 2006
Gerhard W. Gruber – “Married, three kids. A computer freak since about 1983 and a professional programmer since 1991, working currently for a telecommunication company as a software developer, project manager, functional responsible, kind of business analyst and SLS lead. Somehow I lost track of all the computers and languages I learned, since most of them I havn’t really used much, except in school, so the only ones really still counting are SQL, 80×86 assembly and C/C++.”
Ishtvan, Programmer, 2004 – 2009
Born: 1981. Ishtvan is a graduate student in the field of physical science, and occasionally programs simulations as part of that job. Brought Sound Propagation the and the Melee Combat System into the game.
SneaksieDave, Quality Control, 2004 – 2009
Straight from the unsung hell-world of software quality assurance, Dave contributes whatever he can manage to learn, including textures, models, particles, and arguments. He enjoys mapping above all, but rarely actually finishes a map. Damnit.
Domarius, Animator, 2004 – 2009
“Born 1978, Australia. Illustrates, models, animates and programs, self-taught and through Uni. Currently working at Halfbrick. Started out joining the mod as a programmer, and was the only scripter in the beginning. Created the scripts for the blackjack, sword, and the base arrow weapon, and also the broadhead and the fire arrow. Moved to animating when there were programmers but no animators.”
Dram, Mapper, 2005 – 2011
Name: Martin Melicharek. Born: July 3rd 1987 in Czech Republic. Website: www.dramthethief.com
Studied Electronic Arts for a Bachelor Degree at the University of Western Sydney in Australia and has been a mapper for the Dark Mod since its creation. He is currently employed at Bohemia Interactive in Czech Republic as a Level Designer. His largest solo creations were a “Bullet-time” mod for Unreal 1, where the players could dodge bullets in slow-motion like in the Matrix, and a “Ghoster” mod for Thievery, which made sneaking as difficult as Thief on Expert and allowed AI to notice missing loot, among other things.
OrbWeaver, Programmer, 2005 –
“Original DarkRadiant project lead and (very) small-time modeller/mapper. Outside the Dark Mod I am an office-based wage slave and amateur pianist.”
squill, Animator, Modeler, 2005 – 2009
“Animator with a strong passion for games and graphics. Started out with creating maps for various FPS games and developed some modeling and texture skills to enhance his environments. When not into games he enjoys being a animation student, musician and film junky. Joined The Dark Mod team as a mapper but extended with some model and texture creation and is currently doing character animation at the animation department.”
Komag, 2006 –
Ben Ramsey, born 1976 in Michigan USA. Being a Thief “super fan” ever since the first Bafford demo came out in 1998 complete with rope arrows and swimmable water, he has been running www.KeepofMetalandGold.com since 1999 and www.ShadowdarkKeep.com since 2005. Komag has written some widely used beginner tutorials for the three Thief games, hosted numerous fun small mission contests, and is now excited to be contributing to The Dark Mod as a beta mapper and tester.
Baddcog “Schwaa”, Modeler, 2007 – 2010
Baddcog contributed a whole lot of awesome Thief-style models, including the lantern steambeast.
Noisycricket, Animator, 2007 – 2010
Noisycricket did an excellent job giving us quality animations, including big improvements to the combat animations.
Goldchocobo, Vocals, 2009 – 2010
Marcus Zuhr stepped in at the right moment and gave the mod an awesome set of vocals, including builders, nobles, guards and zombies. He also created the first TDM campaign, No Honour Among Thieves.
- Crispy (Coder) is a computer science student at the Australian National University who dreams of someday escaping the clutches of academia. When not plotting his escape, he’s been helping out with various programming tasks, almost all of which involve AI.”
- Ascottk (Modeler)
- BlackThief (Modeler, Texture Artist)
- Gildoran (Texture Artist, Coder) – Gildoran worked with the 2d textures in the game for some time, and tackled programming and GUI tasks on the side.
- Subjective Effect Coded the original version of our website.
- sophisticatedZombie (Coder) – AI coding (search algorithms, interactions). Coded the mantling system.
- joebarnin (Coder) – Joe did work on our main menu GUI and FM loading code.
- oDDity (Modeler) – Provided a tremendous number of high quality modeling contributions to the mod in the early days, including 80% of the current character models.
- Juliusz “PinkDot” Kaczmarek (Modeler) – Has single-handedly fleshed out (so to speak) our graveyard models, among other things.
- Darkness_Falls (Concept Art & Audio) – Ideas, concept art and audio for the mod. Created the name ‘Broken Glass Studios’.
- pakmannen (Audio Lead) – Jens Ljungblad (Sweden) – “Born: 1986. Studied English and Literature for a year and is now moving on to a master degree in Entertainment & Technology. Also a freelancing web designer. Has worked on SFX, Ambients and those pesky re-organizations. Designed the game menus together with Springheel.”
- phide (Audio)
- comp-music (Audio)
- god_is_my_goldfish (Concept Artist) – A film student at Columbia College of Chicago in Illinois, he has done some concept work for the mod.
- Solis (Animator) – Solis joined The Dark Mod as an animator in late 2006. Having been a fan of the Thief games since playing the original nearly 8 years ago, he happily took up the role as animator for The Dark Mod. He is currently a college student working toward an Associate of Arts degree.
- Schatten (Audio) – Has created a lot of music for TDM, the most outstanding one being the main menu track.
- _Atti_ (Modeler)
- Renzatic (Mapper, Texture Artist)
- KFMcCall (Concept Art)
- Corth (Modeler)
- Lloyd (Coder)
- Thelvyn (Coder)
- Napalm (GUI Coding)
- gleeful (Mapper)
- DeepOmega (Modeler)
- Magnesius (Modeler)
- Doug (Animator)
- drumple (Mapper, GUI Coder)
- Diego (Modeler)
- alan9000 (Modeler)
- drewb50 (Audio/Trailer)
- saxmeister (Audio)
- bikerdude (Mapper, Website/FM archive admin)